Most people know that pets are exposed to many dangers. They can be hit by a car, exposed to various diseases, unprotected from extreme weather conditions, or otherwise injured. But pets are also at risk. They include serious reactions and sometimes death from the consumption of toxic products, plants, food, and various household items including medications.
Dangers of household cleaners
According to Amy Shojai, a nationally renowned pet care expert and author of more than 30 pet books, including The First Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats, “Bleaches, Drain Cleaners and Toilet Bowls, phenolic disinfectants such as Lysol and pine sol (they often have “-sol” in the name), and petroleum products such as gasoline, kerosene, and turpentine are very toxic to pets. ” While these items are dangerous to both cats and dogs, Shojai said cats are more sensitive to phenolic products.
Shojai recommends keeping these products out of reach of your paws. He keeps the cleaners under the sink but says they can also be stored in a separate closet with the door closed. “When using these cleaners, make sure pets are safely confined elsewhere. If you’re looking for pet sitters in Spokane WA visit https://petsittingspokanewa.com/.
Do not allow them access to the area to be cleaned until the product is dry. In my home, it is customary to ALWAYS close the dresser lid so that neither the cat nor the dog ever has access to the toilet as a ‘drinking fountain’. While dogs discover more by smelling and tasting even harmful products, cats can just walk on the cleaned floor, lick their paws clean, and end up poisoning. “
Debbie Nierenberg, DVM, tells about her experience when a dog was brought to her and he ate a Clorox handkerchief. Although the handkerchief proved to be non-toxic because it did not contain bleach, it had to induce vomiting in order not to cause an embolism.
Many other common products can cause clogs, such as string, floss, rubber bands, and dental floss. My brother’s cat, when he was young, ate dental floss, and needed surgery. He lived and lived a long life, although the operation earned my brother a lot of money.
Various symptoms of the disease are caused by consumption or contact with toxic products. Nierenberg says the animal may drool, appear weak or wobbly, vomit, or exhibit other abnormal behavior.
Shojai cautions that if a hazardous product is spilled on an animal, especially a phenolic product, which is absorbed through the skin and can lead to coma and death, the pet owner should not induce vomiting, but should rinse the contact area with water for ten minutes.
She said that if bleach or other acid is ingested, you can give the pet two teaspoons of milk of magnesia. For alkaline poisons such as pipe cleaner, Shojai recommends six tablespoons of a 50/50 mixture of water and lemon juice or vinegar to neutralize the poison. If the animal has swallowed the petroleum product, it vomits, has difficulty breathing, may shake, and experience convulsions.
If you can’t bring it to your vet or emergency animal clinic within thirty minutes, Shojai suggests taking one or two ounces of mineral, olive, or vegetable oil orally. The most important thing if your pet has swallowed or has been exposed to a toxic household product is to take it to a vet or veterinary clinic as soon as possible.
While keeping unsafe household products away from pets is the best way to avoid illness or death, there are also alternatives that a pet owner can consider. Shojai named Simple Green a brand of safer cleaning products. Nierenberg also said Febreze is safe for pets, but warned that many pet products labeled all-natural are non-toxic.
For example, she has seen many cases where people brought cats treated with flea and tick repellants containing essential oils, especially clove oil, which she claims is extremely toxic to pets.